The number of days are limited until another cold winter hits, which means now is the time to start prepping your home for the cooler temperatures and tough weather. Before the temperatures dip below freezing, now is the time to give your home some much-needed seasonal TLC. Brutal weather elements like snow, wind, and ice can cause damage to your home that is expensive to repair.
Built Strong Exteriors wants to ensure that you have a home that is safe and protected all year long – which is why our team created this checklist with our top fall home maintenance tasks.
Gutters and Downspouts
- Clear out and clean your gutters and downspouts of leaves and other debris to avoid rot, pests, and ruined gutters.
- Make sure your gutters are properly supported no ensure there is no water leaking.
- Check that water is draining properly and not pooling anywhere – pooling can lead to cracked driveways and foundations.
Doors and Windows
- Replace your door’s summer screens with storm doors.
- Repair any broken windows and loose frames.
- Check doors and windows for any swelling, rotting, or warping.
- Install window winterization systems and weather strips to prevent drafts and high energy bills.
- Check that your pipes are insulated properly to prevent freezing.
- Locate your water shut-off valve – in case a pipe does freeze or burst this winter, you will need to locate this valve to turn it off ASAP.
- Disconnect any outdoor water hoses and insulate outdoor faucets.
- Get a new filter for the furnace.
- Consider getting your entire heating system inspected – this will make sure your heat is running efficiently and safely all winter long.
- Have your heating ducts cleaned to remove dust and dander – this will help with allergies and keep those with respiratory issues safe and healthy.
Chimney and Fireplace
- Have your fireplace cleaned and inspected by a professional, and make sure to address any needed repairs to ensure the safety of your home.
- Ensure there is a tight seal in your chimney when the flue is closed.
- Check to make sure your attic insulation is not covering any vents for proper ventilation.
- Get your attic inspected for any points where pests may be able to enter.
- Check for any loose or missing shingles.
- Your roof is your first line of defense when protecting your home against the elements, make sure to have your roof professional inspected before the seasons change.
- Weatherstrip your garage door to prevent drafts and to keep out small animals.
- Since you’ll need more indoor space for storage during the winter months, clean and declutter your garage to make additional storage space.
If you are feeling overwhelmed with taking on the tasks necessary to prepare and protect your home for the winter, you can contact our team at Built Strong Exteriors! We will start with a completely complimentary estimate. Our free estimates provide you with the crucial information you need that will help you make important decisions for your projects such as cost, timelines, and materials.
From residential homes to commercial office buildings, Built Strong Exteriors is here to get the job done right. Don’t wait for the temperatures to drop or for the snow to fly, the time to begin your winter preparations is now!