As the days begin to get shorter and the weather starts to cool down, it’s crucial to start preparing your home for winter. Snow, wind, and ice can cause damage to your home that is tough and expensive to repair so it’s best practice to get a jump on it before the weather drops below freezing for the first time.
Built Strong Exteriors wants you to have a home that is safe and secure all year, so we’ve created this checklist with our best fall home maintenance tips.
Gutters and Downspouts
- Avoid rot, pests, and ruined gutters by clearing your gutters and downspouts of leaves and debris
- Make sure your gutters are properly supported and there is no water leaking out of the back
- Check to be sure that the water is draining properly and not pooling anywhere – this can lead to cracked driveways and/or foundations.
Windows and Doors
- Swap out summer screens and replace with storm doors
- Repair broken windows and loose frames
- Install window winterization systems to prevent drafts and high energy bills
- Get a new filter for the furnace
- Consider getting your entire heating system inspected – this will make sure your heat is running efficiently and safely all winter long
- Have your heating ducts cleaned to remove dust and dander – this will help with allergies and keep those with respiratory issues safe and healthy
- Make sure your pipes are insulated well so that they won’t freeze
- Locate your water shut-off valve – you will need to turn your water off in case a pipe does freeze or burst.
Chimney and Fireplace
- If you plan on using your fireplace this winter, make sure you have it inspected by a professional. This will prevent house fires and keep your family safe
- Make sure there is a tight seal in your chimney when the flue is closed
- Check to make sure your attic insulation is not covering vents
- Consider having your attic inspected for any points where pests may be able to enter
If you need help getting your home prepared for the cold months, contact us at Built Strong Exterior. Not only can we offer FREE expert consultations to educate you on what needs to be done, but we will take care of your home as if it belonged to us and implement our plan with the utmost care.